Saturday, July 24, 2004

Minimum Wage

Ladygoat ask me to post this for her:

Fair Trade seems to me to be somewhat equivalent to a minimum wage.

I used to work as a resident assistant in the college dorm, for which I received free room and board, but if you worked out the number of hours we worked, it came out to less than minimum wage, which only fueled our sense of grievance and no-one-appreciates-the-posters-we-make feelings. Of course, we included the hours that we were on duty in case anything happened, and if nothing happened, we really weren't working, so don't feel too sorry for us. Plus we got single rooms.

Anyway, I was getting all huffy because Ohio has the second-lowest minimum wage in the U.S., at $4.25 (Kansas has a pathetic $2.65), only to realize 7 states don't even have a minimum wage.

That stinks.

Remind me to finally read Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America.

Foodgoat:
Time to make some coffee :)
and Goooo Tribe-
Tribe down one run... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment