It's a Subaru Forester! It's amazing how the tiny GoatSpawn that prompted us to buy a big ole SUV when we've been such fuel sippers.
What I like about the Forester:
- There is room for GoatSpawn's stroller, and luggage, and maybe even other stuff, in the trunk. It's also incredibly roomy for passengers.
- It has air conditioning and a working radio.
- Reliability. We keep cars for a long, long time.
- "I can now stop having nightmares about driving with GoatSpawn on steep, icy hills and driveways in the Cleveland winters."
- "I can stand in the backseat and have your head outside the gigantic moonroof."
- "How bad-ass it looks with tinted windows and red lights on the dashboard at night."
- "It has 4 doors, which makes getting me and my carseat out of the back seat much easier. My feet no longer get banged up on the way in and out of the car
- "All the big windows to look out of."
- "It has a nice, smooth ride ... I fall right asleep once we get going."
- Mileage (20 mpg city/26 mpg freeway)
- SUV guilt
Among the things I learned about car shopping:
- Do your research and know as much as you can about the car, the options, the financing (including your credit score!), before you walk in. Most helpful site: True Car.
- Don't go on a Saturday afternoon of a holiday weekend. Crowded, crowded, crowded.
- Do go immediately after the baby's nap, so she's well rested for the long (and for her, totally boring) day ahead.
- Do eat first! You'll be there longer than you think.
- Breastfeeding? Do bring a nursing cover! Otherwise you may find yourself nursing behind the desk of the service department.
- Do take the carseat! You'll want to know how well it fits and how easy it is to get baby out.
- Do make sure the car will fit in your garage.