Saturday, September 18, 2004

Make Way! For Lassi!

Only 4 months later, I finally tried out my birthday present and made yogurt. It wasn't too hard: you heat up whole milk, let it cool, add yogurt culture and incubate for several hours. I'm not used to non-sweetened plain yogurt, though, so I used my newly made bounty to make chicken curry and mango lassi.

Mango lassi is the Indian version of a fruit smoothie, and let me tell you, it was delicious.

To a blender, add 1 ripe mango, about a cup or so of plain yogurt, a spoonful of sugar, and some milk. I also added a can of mango juice because I had it around. You can also add ice but when do we ever have ice around? Blend and adjust ingredients to taste.


The result is pale orange, sweet-sour, yum-yum frothiness.


Mango lassi is an ideal partner to spicy chicken curry: cool and refreshing to its heat and pepper fire. Of course, it's also splendid on its own, so for these last few summery days, I've stocked up on mangoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment