Friday, October 3, 2003

Gingerburn
Alas, not everything in California was tasty & good.

California Lowlight #1
Perhaps I got a little excited at Trader Joe's. It is, after all, a fun place to shop, and by the time we got to the register, the basket had good things like kettle corn, pumpkin butter, and chocolate-covered cranberries. But then I saw the new, hard-to-find, and much-sought-after Ginger Altoids. I'm not a big fan of Altoids, so I don't know why I thought Ginger Altoids would be good.

Because they're not. They're awful.

The ginger flavor is really, really strong. And I'm not sure I even think any candy, even of the curiously strong mint type, ought to be so spicy, especially without a little more sweetness to balance it out. It doesn't seem so bad at first, and then ... it hits you. Hard. Add to that the Altoid-typical powdery texture and on the whole it was like eating a ginger pill and not a fun food adventure. None of us liked it. Yet another painful lesson of "don't buy the hype."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:01 AM

    Gently hand over the tin of ginger altoids to one who will appreciate them. Spicy is subjective; and if you love spicy, ginger altoids are a yummy little tease. Please give them to someone who understands this, as they are very hard to find on the market shelves these days.

    ReplyDelete