Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tryout Tuesday: Mr. Brisket

 Dear Slyman's,

Slyman's, you and I, we go back a long time, and you know how I feel about you.  I love your corned beef, I love your Reubens, I love how you get piles of meat in the sandwiches, I love the whole vibe there.  You're one of very favorite places. 

But I just wanted to let you know that I've met someone else.  It's still early, but I think it might be serious.

Please don't misunderstand - I'll always come to you whenever I can.  You are still, in my mind, the best corned beef I've ever had.  That hasn't changed. 

But the distance could be a little hard.  Sure, it's not exactly long distance - less than 10 miles - but the timing was bad.  You are only open until 2:30 on weekdays, and you're closed on weekends.  I don't have a problem with that, in fact I respect it.   But because of my own schedule, and the fact that the lines during lunch hour could be so long, a lot of times months will go by before I get a chance to see you again.

That's a long time to go without, and frankly, I have needs.  Sometimes I could take of it myself at home.  But sometimes, I just want to go pick something up. Usually the results turn out to be expensive and a little disappointing, though. 

And then one day, I stopped by Mr. Brisket. It was recommended to me by a couple of people, and it was just a few miles away .  And it was open on a Saturday.  

I swear, I didn't intend to go there for the corned beef sandwiches. We went in to get butchered meat, not for the prepared foods, but the sight and smell of the corned beef sandwich being grilled right in front of me... it had been so long since I'd had a Reuben ... well, I couldn't resist.  I took some back to my place.  Right then and there.

That sandwich was good.  Different, yes - sweeter, a bit of different flavor, and smaller.  Not necessarily better than Slyman's, but almost as good, and just delicious. 

So I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to see Mr. Brisket again.  But I'll still want have Slyman's when I get a chance. 


4 comments:

  1. Andrew Jorgensen5:21 PM

    No love for Jack's Deli?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried Jack's Deli, and it doesn't come close to Slyman's or Mr. Brisket.

    In my opinion Jack's Deli is the second most overrated place in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also feel that Jack's is overrated.

    The pastrami from Mr. Brisket is out of this world. OMG yum.

    Also if you ever stop in for butchery again, try the Thai sausages. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thai sausages... Mmmmm, I like the sound of that. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete