Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Tryout Tuesday: Grovewood Tavern

First, it took about half an hour to get to the Grovewood Tavern & Wine Bar. Not because it's terribly far, but because first, Foodgoat didn't know where he wanted to eat so we drove around in all the wrong directions, and second, he had an only vague idea of where the Grovewood Tavern was, since the one time he'd been the bar he'd arrived already hammered. We managed to find it, but how would the hazy recollection of Guiness on tap and phenomenal potstickers hold up in the sober light of day?

Upon entering, Foodgoat suddenly remembered: here, he was introduced to his favorite beer, Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Looks like Ladygoat's driving home tonight!

The potstickers, filled with portobello mushrooms and served with a balsamic reduction, were, true to Foodgoat's memory, truly delicious. Succulent and earthy. And artfully presented, which you'll just have to take my word on, because I forgot my camera.

The menu was full of fascinating choices, but Foodgoat ultimately settled on a burger. That may seem an unremarkable choice, considering he could have gone with steak and fried oysters, but when your stomach wants a burger, who are you to argue? And it was a good burger, too.

I, on the other hand, got the chicken pot pie. I should have gotten the duck. I'm sure the duck would have been delicious. I always enjoy the duck when I order it. Now, I love chicken pot pie. I always order chicken pot pie when it's on the menu. But you know what? I'm always disappointed. It's never nearly as good as when I make it at home, which I'd do more often if it didn't involve a bazillion steps. This time, it was too salty and the potatoes were undercooked. Chicken pot pie must now be added to French onion soup as just one of those dishes that never tastes good in any restaurant. Sigh.

A pity, because dinner at Grovewood Tavern was otherwise a splendid experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment