Monday, May 24, 2004

One week into the house and still I'm living out of boxes and wondering where all the spices ended up, so cooking ain't happened.

However, I did run into a garden center yesterday 15 minutes before closing and came out with a bunch of raspberry bushes and an elderberry plant. I have very little resistence when it comes to buying plants, even though my record isn't so great. The house's yard is lovely already, but it's a flowery yard, and I want a useful, productive yard.

The elderberry, a tribute to one of my favorite movies, Arsenic and Old Lace, is indigenous to the northern part of the U.S. and produces big black berries that old ladies make wine with. It's rather old-fashioned, I guess. But I think it's coming back in style: it's hardy and apparently easy to grow, and produces nice white flowers. Unfortunately, it's one of those plants that don't self-pollinate, so I need to run back to the garden center again to another elderberry plant.

I've never actually had elderberry, but I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment