Friday, February 6, 2004

Beet It
Foodgoat doesn't like beets. That didn't stop me from buying some last weekend.

I can't really say that I like beets though. I've only had them once or twice, and they were canned. They didn't particularly impress me. Kinda wet and sloopy.

Still, I find them oddly fascinating. They're bright. They are a major source of sugar. They can turn your pee red (only if you happen to have that double recessive gene, phooey).

With the faint memory of canned beets, I decided to roast 'em whole, with a bit of olive oil and wrapped in foil. I like roasting things, even if it does take a really long time. I'm kicking myself for not remembering to microwave it first, as you can do for potatoes, but there's always a next time. An hour or so later, I pulled them out, and discovered hot beets are not as easy to peel as they make it out to be.

Sliced and sauteed in a little butter (which may have been an entirely extraneous step), I served them on a bed of sauteed kale (see yesterday). And they were pretty good, firm, not mushy. Now, Foodgoat say he likes beets. Ahh, the wonder of fresh vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment