Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's Not a Holiday Without a Jelly Donut

Why didn't anyone tell me that Hanukkah celebrations include jelly-filled donuts?

I would have started celebrating Hanukkah long ago!

Especially if all of them are as good as my first sufganiya, a kind of jelly donut cooked in oil. The one I had was homemade, with jelly added before the frying, resulting in a warm jelly center (usually, it's fried first, then injected with filling). It was really quite delicious.

Why celebrate with donuts? (The question is, why not?) But in this case, it is the custom during Hanukkah to eat fried foods, in commemoration of the miracle associated with the Temple oil. Another fried dish associated with Hanukkah is latkes, or potato pancakes, which seemed just like hash browns to me, except with sour cream and applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment