Wednesday, March 19, 2003

A cookbook success
I finally got around to trying a recipe from the
Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
. I've been poring over its recipes for weeks -- they're all vegetarian, with a lot of vegan, but they sound strangely appealing to me. Since I've had bulgur sitting in the freezer for a while, and left over spinach from the pizza, I tried the bulgur with spinach, to go along with tonight's pierogies and kielbasa. It turned out very well: easy to make, went well with the meal, and had a homey, earthy flavor. The original recipe has dill, but since I don't have any and don't really like it anyway, I left it out and didn't miss it. Next cookbook experiment: the peach oats brulee.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped green onions
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup bulghur
1.25 cups hot water
half teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 tablespoon
pepper

In a heavy saucepan with a with a tight-fitting lid, warm the olive oil and add the green onions and garlic. Saute until soft and fragrant. Add bulghur and saute about one minute, stirring to coat. Pour in the water and salt, bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover,andsimmer for 10 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook for 8-10 minutes until water is absorbed but the spinach is still bright green. Fluff with a fork and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment