Tuesday, December 3, 2013

12 Days of Polvoron: Small Batch Polvoron

To celebrate the Philippines this holiday season (and bring attention to the continued need for typhoon relief), I'm doing 12 days of polvoron.  

I thought I'd start with the basic recipe I will be using, a small batch version.   Most recipes for polvoron make large batches, which can be great for families and sharing, but what if you just want a few?

Easy!  Polvoron is simple to scale down into a small batch.  It makes about a dozen, which is good for a family snack, or just one person, if you can eat as much polvoron as I can in one sitting.  And it doesn't take very long - the longest part is toasting the flour, and that's like 5 minutes.



Small Batch Polvoron

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered milk (full fat is better than non fat, if you can find it)
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter
pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)

  1. Toast the flour on a dry skillet or saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. 
  2. Mix the flour with the powdered milk, sugar, and salt. 
  3. Pour in the melted butter a little at a time, mixing with a spoon until it starts to clump and resemble damp sand.   
  4. Pack it firmly in the polvoron mold.  Refrigerate to harden it a bit if you feel like it.  Wrap it up in tissue paper if you feel like it.  Or just eat it straight up.  




2 comments:

  1. Much thanks! This is definitely an astounding web-site.

    Buy Suprax Online

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! I love Samosas... My grew up eating my mother's handmade samosas and rolls so It's one of my favorites now. Glad to see that others are enjoying that as well.

    ReplyDelete