Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Poached Pears, Oh My

Hello, pear.

I know we're haven't been very close over the years.  In our previous encounters, you've been fresh but kind of ... grainy.  It's a texture thing.  I didn't care for it.  Also, your shape makes you a little hard to hold.  Sometimes I eat my lunch fruit at my desk, so my fruit really needs to be one-hand friendly.  

But I'm still a believer in no bad foods, just bad preparations, so a few weeks ago I bought some Bosc pears, watched them sit untouched on the counter for a few days, discovered we had half a bottle of way-too-sweet for me Gewürztraminer wine left (you don't want to know how many times I tried to spell that right), then poached them exactly as David Lebovitz said to. 

In addition to the wine, I also threw in dried cranberries.  It's an incredibly easy and simple recipe.  The result?

Hellllllo, pear. 

Poaching the pears was transformative.  It made them soft and sweet and smoothed the texture enough to make it totally delicious.  Maybe anything can be good swimming in a sweet syrup, but it really made me like pears for the first time in my life.

The nice thing was that the poached pears sat in my a jar in their syrup for a week, and I could dip in and have a few slices whenever I wanted.  On top of oatmeal.  On top of banana pancakes, as above. Warmed up, by itself in a bowl, along with an episode of Modern Family.  

It's a lovely way to have fruit this time of year, when it's so cold outside (and 45 degrees still counts in my book as SO COLD) - warm, sweet, but not too heavy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment