Monday, July 10, 2006

Oh Say Can You Calamansi


By far the most exciting find at the garden centers this year is the calamansi tree (labelled as a calamondin). It's native to the Philippines and makes bitsy limey-orangey things which are are the perfect size for squirting onto food. My little tree will never make enough to keep me supplied in calamansi juice (my sure-fire cure for sore throats, colds, and all that ails you), but for me, a calamansi tree is like a piano - a house isn't a Filipino home until it has one. So far it is happily fruiting in the backyard, untouched by the deer or the groundhog (luckily for them: hell hath no fury like a gardener whose calamansi has been pilfered). I was told it should do fine overwintering inside my cold house, but I'm not so sure, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    wow that's pretty cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Quite an informative post on calamansi.

    {To elaborate a bit on its culinary use, you might be happy to know that the calamansi peel like orange peel is used for making jams, candies, and marmalade.

    The best part of its flavor goes to making flan and pancakes more interesting.

    However, what makes a calamansi, worth the use is its medicinal properties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Whenever I get sick, the first thing Ladygoat does is make me a calamansi drink. Then she tells me I should've worn a hat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:44 AM

    I haven't had calamansi in a while! My mouth is watering just thinking of it. I love my squirted on top of pancit.

    ReplyDelete