Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Got lumpia?

In honor of my sister's birthday, I ate the last of my mom's lumpia, from the last time I went home, for lunch. Don't know what lumpia is? Let me tell you about it.

1. You pronounce it "LOOM-pya"
2. It's a Filipino thing.
3. It's a kind of egg roll, so basically it's a filling (chopped vegetables, meat or both) inside a thin wrapper (made of flour or cornstarch, water, and sometimes eggs), and fried. It also comes in a non-fried, fresh version which I don't like nearly as much.
4. Lumpia can be served as an appetizer, a side dish or with rice for the main dish. It's good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and various snack times.
5. There are many, many recipes for lumpia, using various combinations of pork, beef, shrimp, chicken, turkey, cabbage, carrots, green beans, peas, sprouts, garlic, onions, potatoes, yams, water chesnuts, bell peppers ... you get the idea.
6. Lumpia is now also a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment